For Goodness Sake
Both personally and through my Web content company, Pybop, I try to do as much as I can to support my community and improve the world we live in. It can seem inconvenient and potentially ineffective, but I figure, hey: If I pitch in, maybe 10 more people around me will, too. And then 100 more people. That’s 100,000 people. Imagine the good deeds. And the good impression on big business.
I’ve put this page together to not only give you ideas, but also to remind myself I can always be doing more.
Living in Southern California, I really appreciate my environment. Sure, the air could be better, the beaches cleaner, the communities stronger, but overall, I know I’m spoiled. I do whatever I can to help maintain and improve my environment.
- Recycle — I blue-bin all paper, plastic, and aluminum. Batteries I drop off at the local IKEA. They have a recycling bin in their customer service area.
- Protect — I avoid plastic bags when shopping (I carry a canvas bag) and use ocean-friendly cleaning products, Method (their scents are fabulous!) and 7th Generation. Both brands are available at Target.
- Conserve energy — At my office and at home, I use ceiling fans and open windows in the summer and mostly sweaters in the winter (I do turn on the gas heat when my fingers go numb!). I telecommute and video conference as much as possible, and walk and bike to run small, frequent errands, like bank and post office trips. Because the windows are all open, I rarely turn on the lights during the day.
- Conserve resources — Electronic filing, recycled paper pads from Moleskine, my Camelback waterbottle, and my travel coffee mug minimize tree-harvesting and landfill space.
- Partner – I like to work with companies who also practice and promote earth-friendly tactics.
Health and Community
Good health is the foundation of everything else good. I like to support causes that improve the health and lifestyle of the community. If I get some fresh air, meet new people, and some exercise at the same time, it’s a quadruple win!
- Raising Awareness — Whenever I can, I write about health, lifestyle, and good environmental moves (like riding my bike to the eco-friendly office). Partnering with a client who has a strong sustainability initiative or needs this type of online content is always a thrill.
- Reuse – It happens all too often that I outgrow a technology or style of a perfectly good something. I just can’t throw this stuff away, so I donate a couple times a year to American Veterans and Goodwill. They pick it all up and whisk it away for a new life!
- Volunteer – I volunteer for I Love a Clean San Diego initiatives, including California Coastal Cleanup Day. Nothing worse than kayaking or beach-walking among trash or seeing sea birds affected by trash.
- Walking for Health — I’ve walked and supported others who have walked to raise money for MS research, breast cancer research, and the Humane Society. If you choose to do the 60 mile Susan G. Komen walk, as I did, I recommend walking in an unfamiliar city. The mental inspiration of seeing something new will help keep you going!
Does your business have a strong corporate social responsibility or sustainability initiative? I’d love to help expand your efforts.